Friday, 20 April 2012

Minority

Let me just start my saying for those of you that don't know, I am not the biggest fan of democracy. Yes, I like some aspects of it, but it is not free as many would say. It oppresses minorities and has its negative aspects. That does not mean I do not participate in our politics or that I am about to go live in a country with a dictator. It merely means that I think it could be greatly improved and there are aspects of it I do not like.

Maybe because of seeing the flaws in democracy, I am very political. I have my opinions and I do my research, recognizing that my opinions are not always right for everyone, and may not work on a large scale. That doesn't often change my opinion, but it is still acknowledged and all that jazz. I was excited to be finally able to vote in our provincial election. I realize that voting isn't actually all the exciting, and I did before I went into the polling station. However, my experiences with my first election today have caused me to find even more flaws in our electoral system than I'd had before and I am done. Something needs to be changed, I don't know how, but enough people are upset with it that we can at least try to get something done.

Now, I guess it would probably make sense to explain what happened to cause me to lose the remainder of my faith in our democracy. The students union had organized a vote mob, free transportation to the polling station today for the advanced polls. This was wonderful to make it easier and cheaper for students to vote, make it more readily available. It also went to show that we are voting and we will have our voice be heard. Although.. It kind of ended up failing in the latter.

Now, a direct quote from the elections Alberta website on who can vote... "In order to be eligible to vote in a provincial general election, a person must reside in the polling subdivision in which the person seeks to vote, and must:
be a Canadian citizen,
be at least eighteen years of age,
be ordinarily resident in Alberta for six months prior to polling day,
not be excluded under section 45 of the Election Act, which states: "

According to this, a student living on residence would be eligible to vote in the riding which they reside for school, as long as they are a Canadian citizen and 18. They have resided in Alberta for, in this case, around 8 months. In case you can't do math, that is 2 more than the 6 months that are required. It is where we reside for most of the year, where we have our mail sent for that time, where we eat, sleep, work, study, and spend what little money we have. Apparently, this isn't actually how it works.

Many of us got turned down for voting in this riding, we were unable to vote here because of going home for the summr months. Now, I'm not sure about all the other residents, but if I live here most of the year I'm pretty sure the government here will have more influence over my life, and I want my say in that if it's offered. Which according to the above statement, it is. Yet many were denied and told they were required to vote in their riding at home. This is absolutely ridiculous, we are spending the majority of at least 4 years here, the government elected in this election will be a huge influence over what happens in that time. I would rather have a say in the representative for this area than for one I might spend 4 months at. Likely not even that.

Now, I was able to vote because I will likely be living in Edmonton over the summer for work. This would mean I have a different address than is considered my permanent address still. I had it explained to me that this is different because it's like someone who lives here all the time going elsewhere to work for a month. Instead of somewhere who lives at home all the time going somewhere else to work for 8 months. This is absolutely ridiculous. It's no different, I'm still not residing here for the summer months, just like those who are going home. I still live here for 8 months, just like everyone else who does.

Now, apparently we have gained new information for how we can vote here. Though it is still ridiculous, especially since some were able to vote, surprisingly all girls. Maybe so we can't pull the sexist card out? No matter what the reason, this is not the equality that democracy is supposed to stand for, it is wrong and should not be tolerated. We are constantly told how we need to vote and how the young people are those who have the lowest voter turnout. Maybe that's because we have to go through this when trying to vote and exercise our rights.

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
~ Won't Get Fooled Again by the Who

No comments:

Post a Comment