I've been back at the university for around a week now, and I must say there are elements that I love as well as elements that I hate. The new classes are exciting, until you find out you got "that" prof. Stepping out on your own is wonderful, until you realize how much life really costs. Getting away from old ties is so freeing, until you realize you wanted to keep them and really aren't all that good at making new ones. There's those assignments that you are actually excited for, but then there's the ones that you are dreading with every aspect of your being. No one heads into university expecting to love every minute of it, but if you choose to be there, either you are some form of masochist who enjoys inflicting pain on themselves or you do find some enjoyment within it.
That being said, I bet you can guess the next thing I am thankful for. If you can't, I guess my psychology major may help to figure you out eventually. Anyway, item number two on my list of things I am thankful for is my opportunity for eduction. I am thankful for it because I am a woman, and it wasn't all that long ago when women here could not gain the type of education which I am privileged enough to gain. Even now many girls do not have this opportunity. Now, I'm not a feminist, but I do hold strong beliefs in equality of opportunity. I am thankful for it because I am capable of learning and as a result gaining this education, I have not been held back by a brain injury or any form of disability. I am thankful for it because I have enough money to attend a higher institution, I am not held back by funds. I am thankful because I am not entirely alone, my family is both willing and able to provide support. I am thankful because I was able to choose what I wished to study and where without pressure to go any which way. I am thankful that people have gone before me who provided the opportunities to gain this knowledge. And I am thankful for the people who are willing to instruct.
I'm exteremely excited for most of my classes this semester. My professor for addictions studies is wonderful, and it seems like the material will be as well. Neuroscience and biology both have aspects to them which I do not accept, but I'm excited to gain a deeper knowledge of the other side of these things and be challenged in my beliefs. As a result I hope to be more actively seeking answers to the questions I develop. Social psychology is one I haven't decided on yet, I may fall in love with it, but it may end up just being an aspect of psychology that I rule out as something I wish to pursue. And logic, well, the prof is interesting, possibly slightly insane, but those are the best people, and the material seems interesting enough. I quite look forward to this semester.
Yes, that was an entire paragraph of reasons I am thankful for my education. Yes, it was probably boring and not something you wanted to read. Thank you captain obvious. I warned you what this was about.
Yes, that was an entire paragraph of reasons I am thankful for my education. Yes, it was probably boring and not something you wanted to read. Thank you captain obvious. I warned you what this was about.
"Well here we are, no one else
We walked to school all by ourselves
There's dirt on our uniforms
From chasing all the ants and worms
We clean up and now it's time to learn
Numbers, letters, learn to spell
Nouns, and books, and show and tell
At playtime we will throw the ball
Back to class, through the hall
Teacher marks our height against the wall"
~ We're Gonna Be Friends by the White Stripes
No comments:
Post a Comment