Sunday, 15 January 2012

Kairos

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to begin blogging. Now this was something that I always told myself I wasn't going to do. So this is quite the change of heart, but I feel like it will be good for me, so I'm starting here and we'll see where it goes.

Another decision I have come to is to see time as kairos instead of chronos. Both are Greek words meaning time, but they are 2 distinct forms of time. Chronos is where we get the idea of chronological time, doing everything in order with the purpose essentially of just getting it done, or of self-fulfillment. Whereas kairos is those in-between moments, when something special happens. Or at least this is how I have come to understand it. I wish to live my life in constant kairos, creating something special out of each day. A part of that for me is going to be living life in a way that will be pleasing to God, letting people see my Christianity in a practical way. I wish to begin to place God first, others second, and me third. it is impractical to neglect myself, as I am the vessel through which I will be doing these other things. Though I feel like it is also impractical to allow myself to be placed first, I find less joy in life in those moments when I am placing myself first. That being said, I want to see how long this is going to last, and all of you who choose to read this to keep be accountable. I'm not doing this to allow myself to be taken advantage of, but instead to bring wholeness and the light of Christ into my life. I am not intending to change the fundamentals of who I am, but that doesn't mean changes won't come about as a result. Nor am I about to go around preaching on street corners or forcing my religion unto others, some may be called this direction, but I am not. Instead I wish to share in practical means, not shy away from service or from conversation, but invite it.

The other thing I wish to do is create a list of 365 things I am thankful for. Yes, that is one for each day of the year. It may be two weeks into 2012 already, but that doesn't mean I can't start now. I guess that's my primary purpose here, to share that list as it begins to be compiled. And so, I begin today with my first thing I am thankful for as time. Which I guess can be extended to life, the ability to have it, to live it, to share it, and to appreciate it. All of which I intend to do more of, as this time is limited and precious.
So, I guess that's where we end off today.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today.
If these are my last words
Let them be seize the day 
Not time to freeze, not another word
Not another chance, no other day.
Deep down inside you hear the screams,
Can barley breathe and suffocate.
Now taking it for what its worth
Your hesitation leaves no patience"

~Carpe Diem by Authority Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment